turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

dprynces1

My state tax refund is substantially lower than it was last year. I live in the state of Maryland. Is there anything in tax changes that had impact on state refunds

I had roughly the same amount of taxes withheld.  My federal refund actually increased.  I filed Head of Household with 2 dependents.  

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
SharonC1

My state tax refund is substantially lower than it was last year. I live in the state of Maryland. Is there anything in tax changes that had impact on state refunds

Take a look at the link below.  Pay particular attention to the New Tax Rates section.  Most states have experienced tax reform this year due to the federal tax reform.  It looks like in Maryland a couple of counties have increased their taxes.  Also, there have been changes to the personal exemption and standard deduction.  

https://taxes.marylandtaxes.gov/Individual_Taxes/General_Information/What_s_New_for_the_Tax_Filing_S...

dprynces1

Thank you. This was very helpful. I think that although claiming the standard deduction benefited me on the federal side, it hurt me on the state side. I did not look at that comparison prior to submitting .
SharonC1

You are welcome. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news though.
dprynces1

No worries. I just tried another tax prep software just to compare  and am further confused. The refund amouts are totally different but the state still comes out lower
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies