turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

STATE TAX FORM FOR PENNSYLVANIA

I WAS A RESIDENT OF NEW YORK STATE FOR 2016 AND I AM FILING MY STATE TAX RETURN WITH NY. AT THE BEGINNING OF THE YEAR, I WAS WITHHELD BY THE STATE OF PENNSYLVANIA BECAUSE I HAD NOT CHANGED MY ADRESS. QUESTION: WHAT PA FORM SHOULD I COMPLETE TO REQUEST A REIMBURSEMENT FOR THE INCOME TAX WITHHELD? THANK YOU IN ADVANCE FOR YOUR REPLY.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
ChristinaS
Expert Alumni

You need to complete a PA-40.

http://www.revenue.pa.gov/FormsandPublications/FormsforIndividuals/Documents/Personal%20Income%20Tax...

You can choose to paper file if you prefer, using form above. Make your wages $0 on the W2 for PA, so the withholding can be refunded. Ensure that you include a copy of the NY return and the PA state copy of your W2.

Using Turbo Tax, choose Pennsylvania as Other State Income under Personal Info. When preparing the return, choose nonresident.

When you input the W2 in Turbo Tax, make the PA wages $0 and ensure that the NY wages are the full amount for the year (though they probably are already).

On your NY resident return, do not take a credit for paying any taxes to PA (since you aren't).

View solution in original post

2 Replies
ChristinaS
Expert Alumni

You need to complete a PA-40.

http://www.revenue.pa.gov/FormsandPublications/FormsforIndividuals/Documents/Personal%20Income%20Tax...

You can choose to paper file if you prefer, using form above. Make your wages $0 on the W2 for PA, so the withholding can be refunded. Ensure that you include a copy of the NY return and the PA state copy of your W2.

Using Turbo Tax, choose Pennsylvania as Other State Income under Personal Info. When preparing the return, choose nonresident.

When you input the W2 in Turbo Tax, make the PA wages $0 and ensure that the NY wages are the full amount for the year (though they probably are already).

On your NY resident return, do not take a credit for paying any taxes to PA (since you aren't).

ChristinaS
Expert Alumni

Come to think of it... did you work in PA at the beginning of the year, or in NY? Even if you lived in PA, they should have withheld NY taxes if you worked in NY (no matter you live).
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies