turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

State tax filing when working in NY live in NJ

Hi,

I work in NY but live in NJ. I made a mistake of filing my NJ taxes first and now I am doing my NY taxes. I believe I should have done the opposite in order to claim the credit in NJ for taxes paid in NY and this avoid double taxation. 

What's the solution?

Thank you in advance

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

Yes, you will have to file an amended New Jersey tax return in order to claim the credit for tax that you paid to New York. Don't file the amended return until your original New Jersey tax return has been processed and you have received the refund (if any). And do not go back to the New Jersey tax return to calculate the credit until you are ready to amend it. You need to have the New Jersey tax return in its original state, as you filed it, before you start to amend it.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

Just go back to the New Jersey section again after you finish New York. You don't have to go through the whole New Jersey interview again, just the Taxes and Credits section. When you get to Credit for Taxes Paid to Another State, click Work on Credit.

I have a somewhat complex situation (I am filing "married jointly" and my wife does not have a SSN/ITIN - we applied for one when I filed my federal taxes). Therefore, I could not e-file and I already printed and sent my NJ taxes. 

I will likely have to make an amendment?

rjs
Level 15
Level 15

Yes, you will have to file an amended New Jersey tax return in order to claim the credit for tax that you paid to New York. Don't file the amended return until your original New Jersey tax return has been processed and you have received the refund (if any). And do not go back to the New Jersey tax return to calculate the credit until you are ready to amend it. You need to have the New Jersey tax return in its original state, as you filed it, before you start to amend it.

That's what I thought, thank you. I owe money to NJ, so I am not waiting for a refund but will wait until they process my filing and I pay the taxes. Then, I will request the credit.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies