sonzoil

State paper ammended return after e-file

It I e-filed my State of MA taxes, and it was accepted, then if I had to amend the return, I know I have to send in a paper return.  My question is, do I also have to include/attach all W2s, 1099, etc, that are requested if I had originally filed by paper, and not e-file??

MayaD

You only need to send the forms that document the changes you made to your return. For example, if you added another form W-2 when you amended your return then you would send a copy of it.

sonzoil

If I owed money on the first e-filed claim, and still owe money, but less on the amended paper claim, do I send in the new amount only by the 15th?

JohnW222

It depends on the scenario you’re describing, but let’s look at it this way.

Let’s assume you owed $100 on your original return.  Your amended return shows you actually only owed $85 – that is, your total tax owed should’ve been $85 if everything had been reported on your original return.  If you didn’t pay with your original return, send in $85 with your amended return.  If you paid $100 with your original return, don’t send in anything – you’re due a refund.

But, if you owed $100 on your original return and your amended return shows you owe $85 more – that is, your total tax owed should’ve been $185 if everything had been reported on your original return -- then send in $85 if you paid $100 with your original return, or $185 if you sent in nothing with your original return.

sonzoil

Lastly, if I go through the process to amend the return, correct the information along the way, but at the end decide I do not want to file an amended return, then I can just exit out of the return, and no changes will be made or saved from my original, correct ??

DaveF1006

The system still may store the changes you made. i would suggest that you go through your return and undo any changes you made and after you do this, go to tax tools>tools>delete a form. Delete the form 1040X if you see that in your list of forms.