Solved: Should I add my foster care payments as non-taxable income in the sales tax deduction area to improve my sales tax deduction amount? I have found differing opinions.

cderrick5665

Should I add my foster care payments as non-taxable income in the sales tax deduction area to improve my sales tax deduction amount? I have found differing opinions.

Some say that it is considered income for the child and not income for the parents so you should not include in sales tax.  Some say it is similar to child support payments.  Is there an IRS rule?

DawnC0

No, there is not an IRS rule, however, you can include it in to determine your sales tax deduction.  You can basically add any income you received that you did not already enter into TurboTax somewhere else.  Any non-taxable income not entered can be included for the purposes of calculating your sales tax deduction.  

DawnC0