turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Should I add my foster care payments as non-taxable income in the sales tax deduction area to improve my sales tax deduction amount? I have found differing opinions.

Some say that it is considered income for the child and not income for the parents so you should not include in sales tax.  Some say it is similar to child support payments.  Is there an IRS rule?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DawnC0
Intuit Alumni

Should I add my foster care payments as non-taxable income in the sales tax deduction area to improve my sales tax deduction amount? I have found differing opinions.

No, there is not an IRS rule, however, you can include it in to determine your sales tax deduction.  You can basically add any income you received that you did not already enter into TurboTax somewhere else.  Any non-taxable income not entered can be included for the purposes of calculating your sales tax deduction.  

View solution in original post

1 Reply
DawnC0
Intuit Alumni

No, there is not an IRS rule, however, you can include it in to determine your sales tax deduction.  You can basically add any income you received that you did not already enter into TurboTax somewhere else.  Any non-taxable income not entered can be included for the purposes of calculating your sales tax deduction.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies