turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

klmaull

Do I select the box in Virginia state taxes where Turbo Tax asks "...commute to VA daily" if I live in NJ and work in VA (work @ home 2 days and in VA 3 days a week)?

I telework from home 2 days a week and travel down to VA 3 days a week. How do I answer the question that TT asks about commuting daily to VA (see attached)?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
JulieH1

Do I select the box in Virginia state taxes where Turbo Tax asks "...commute to VA daily" if I live in NJ and work in VA (work @ home 2 days and in VA 3 days a week)?

Select that you do "commute daily" in order to get the result that you are entitled to as a remote worker.  In our technology age, commuting can be physically or telecommuting.  

Although certain states have varying non-resident tax laws, generally, if you live in one state and work in another remotely (so you don’t physically travel to another state for work), then you would only file and pay taxes to your resident state.

That means, if you’re working remotely you’ll only have to file a resident tax return to the state you live in.

However, if your W-2 form lists a state other than your resident state, then you’ll need to also file a non-resident tax return to the state listed. In other words, you’ll file two state tax returns; a resident return to the state you live in and a non-resident return to the state listed on your W-2 (the state your company is located in).

View solution in original post

1 Reply
JulieH1

Select that you do "commute daily" in order to get the result that you are entitled to as a remote worker.  In our technology age, commuting can be physically or telecommuting.  

Although certain states have varying non-resident tax laws, generally, if you live in one state and work in another remotely (so you don’t physically travel to another state for work), then you would only file and pay taxes to your resident state.

That means, if you’re working remotely you’ll only have to file a resident tax return to the state you live in.

However, if your W-2 form lists a state other than your resident state, then you’ll need to also file a non-resident tax return to the state listed. In other words, you’ll file two state tax returns; a resident return to the state you live in and a non-resident return to the state listed on your W-2 (the state your company is located in).

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies