Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

myj899

I am a permanent resident in NJ, but I worked in PA while attending school. Should I have to adjust my wage for PA to 0?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DS30

I am a permanent resident in NJ, but I worked in PA while attending school. Should I have to adjust my wage for PA to 0?

If you are a permanent resident of NJ and your only PA income is wages, you will only need to file an NJ resident state income tax return to report all income (including your PA-source wages). You will not have to file a PA nonresident state income tax return (unless you had PA withholdings (see below)).

NJ and PA have what is called a state reciprocal agreement. This allows nonresidents to not have state withholding taxes taken out for wages earned in the state.

Since you will not have an NJ state income tax filing, just check that you selected "no" to " Did you make money in any other states?" under the Personal Information section in TurboTax (see screenshots)

You can get rid of a state without clearing your federal return by just deleting the state from your list of states under the "State Taxes" tab.

Please note that you will not have a delete option until you actually start working on the state. Select that you want to start the state return under the state taxes tab. The system will start calculating. Then go back into the state tab at the top of the screen and you should now get a choice for that state to either continue or delete. You won't be charged for just starting the state return. You would only be charged (if applicable) when you are getting ready to file.

In order to get the full refund of your PA state income tax withholdings, you will need to file a nonresident PA return but report zero "0" income from PA (even though you do have PA wage income). You need to file your PA return this way because NJ does not allow a credit for tax paid to a reciprocal state on wages, salaries and commissions. If tax was withheld by a reciprocal state (PA), you must file directly with the state for a refund of those taxes. You must mail in this PA nonresident state income tax return and include your state W-2 information. You will want to include an explanatory statement with your PA return stating your situation (that your PA employer withheld PA taxes from your wages in error due to a reciprocal agreement with NJ).

View solution in original post

2 Replies
DS30

If you are a permanent resident of NJ and your only PA income is wages, you will only need to file an NJ resident state income tax return to report all income (including your PA-source wages). You will not have to file a PA nonresident state income tax return (unless you had PA withholdings (see below)).

NJ and PA have what is called a state reciprocal agreement. This allows nonresidents to not have state withholding taxes taken out for wages earned in the state.

Since you will not have an NJ state income tax filing, just check that you selected "no" to " Did you make money in any other states?" under the Personal Information section in TurboTax (see screenshots)

You can get rid of a state without clearing your federal return by just deleting the state from your list of states under the "State Taxes" tab.

Please note that you will not have a delete option until you actually start working on the state. Select that you want to start the state return under the state taxes tab. The system will start calculating. Then go back into the state tab at the top of the screen and you should now get a choice for that state to either continue or delete. You won't be charged for just starting the state return. You would only be charged (if applicable) when you are getting ready to file.

In order to get the full refund of your PA state income tax withholdings, you will need to file a nonresident PA return but report zero "0" income from PA (even though you do have PA wage income). You need to file your PA return this way because NJ does not allow a credit for tax paid to a reciprocal state on wages, salaries and commissions. If tax was withheld by a reciprocal state (PA), you must file directly with the state for a refund of those taxes. You must mail in this PA nonresident state income tax return and include your state W-2 information. You will want to include an explanatory statement with your PA return stating your situation (that your PA employer withheld PA taxes from your wages in error due to a reciprocal agreement with NJ).

jtax
Level 10

see also <a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="http://www.state.nj.us/treasury/taxation/njit25.shtml">http://www.state.nj.us/treasury/taxation/njit...>
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies