Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I always get taxes back from the non-resident state. TTax is showing that I owe those taxes to the resident state, but the non-resident state is not refunding the money.

I always get most of the taxes back from the non-resident state.  This year TurboTax is showing that I owe all of those taxes to the resident state, but the non-resident state is not refunding the money.  I am sure there is a problem, but I don't know how to fix it.  I did make sure that I selected non-resident on the Nebraska form.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
TomD8
Level 15

I always get taxes back from the non-resident state. TTax is showing that I owe those taxes to the resident state, but the non-resident state is not refunding the money.

In TurboTax, be sure you complete your non-resident state return BEFORE you do your home state return.  That way, you'll receive credit on your home state return for taxes paid to the non-resident state.

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
TomD8
Level 15

In TurboTax, be sure you complete your non-resident state return BEFORE you do your home state return.  That way, you'll receive credit on your home state return for taxes paid to the non-resident state.

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.

I tried this.  I completely started over and did my Nebraska taxes before my Iowa, and I am still getting the same answer.  I should be getting almost all of my Nebraska taxes back.
TomD8
Level 15

Remember that your non-resident state can tax ALL the income you earned by working within its borders.  So if you worked all year in Nebraska, most if not all of your total state taxes would be due to Nebraska.  In that situation, you would definitely NOT get all of your Nebraska taxes back.  But you would be able to take a credit for them on your home state Iowa return.  <a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1901271-how-do-i-file-a-nonresident-state-return">https://ttlc.int...>
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies