frogowienke

Regarding the worked outside the U.S. question, I worked overseas for aprox 6 months in southeast asia for a manufacturing company that moved overseas. do i need to mark this section?

SeanE1

Yes you would indicate that you worked outside of the USA and include your earnings on your US tax return.  To enter your foreign earnings follow these steps:

• Open your tax return in Turbotax

• Go to Federal Taxes

• Select Wages & Income

• Click I'll choose what I work on

• Scroll down the page to the last section Less Common Income and select Show More

• Select Start to the right of Foreign Earned Income and Exclusion

• Go through this section and enter the income that you earned abroad.

Please note: if you received a W-2, it should be flagged as foreign income in the follow-up questions of the W-2 entry.  You need to check the box indicating that you worked outside the U.S.