turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

EmmaH2125
Returning Member

Refile State Taxes after Federal taxes are auto adjusted for $10,200 unemployment?

I filed both Federal and KS State taxes via TurboTax before the 3rd stimulus was approved so I missed out on the $10,200 unemployment exemption.  

Since the IRS will auto correct my Federal return and return a refund, what do I do with my KS State taxes?  I would assume I would need to refile/amend by KS taxes, but, the updates from the auto Federal refund will not be in my TurboTax Federal forms.

How should I do my KS refile/amendment  to take advantage of the $10,200 unemployment exemption for my KS State taxes?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
ErnieS0
Expert Alumni

Refile State Taxes after Federal taxes are auto adjusted for $10,200 unemployment?

Kansas has not issued any guidance on how the state will deal with the $10,200 federal exemption for unemployment benefits.

The TurboTax federal program has been updated for the exemption. TurboTax will show a subtraction from income as if you claimed the unemployment exemption on your originally filed federal return. Therefore, you will not have to do adjust your federal information in TurboTax to account for the unemployment refund.

This also means your KS return was automatically adjusted since KS starts with federal income. However you will still have to either amend or get an automatic overpayment.

I suggest waiting to file an amended Kansas return. If you send one off now, the state may not know what to do with it.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

2 Replies
ErnieS0
Expert Alumni

Kansas has not issued any guidance on how the state will deal with the $10,200 federal exemption for unemployment benefits.

The TurboTax federal program has been updated for the exemption. TurboTax will show a subtraction from income as if you claimed the unemployment exemption on your originally filed federal return. Therefore, you will not have to do adjust your federal information in TurboTax to account for the unemployment refund.

This also means your KS return was automatically adjusted since KS starts with federal income. However you will still have to either amend or get an automatic overpayment.

I suggest waiting to file an amended Kansas return. If you send one off now, the state may not know what to do with it.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
EmmaH2125
Returning Member

This is a GREAT answer, and we will wait a few more weeks to deal with KS!  Thanx a ton!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies