Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Announcements
Your taxes, your way. Get expert help or do it yourself. >> Get started
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
icansaveyou
Level 1

Received two W-2 (NJ & NY) from same NJ company. I live in NY but work only in NJ. TurboTax can't e-file because NY W-2 has blank in the box1. Do I need to delete NY W-2?

NJ W-2 looks like a normal W-2. However, NY W-2 has blank in box 1-13 and the box 14 says "FED W-2 DATA IS ON SEPARATE W-2" and the box 16,17 have wage amount little less than the NJ W-2.  Can I delete NY W-2 from TurboTax to do e-file via TurboTax? to avoid me from doing physical-paper-mail tax return report?
1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
KarenJ2
Expert Alumni

Received two W-2 (NJ & NY) from same NJ company. I live in NY but work only in NJ. TurboTax can't e-file because NY W-2 has blank in the box1. Do I need to delete NY W-2?

You fix your entry for the "NY" W-2 that has only the state data and not the federal data, you need to go back to the" NJ" W-2 the "State & local taxes" section where you entered the NJ data.  Then, "Add another row" and enter the NY data for boxes 15, 16, and 17.

To get back to the W-2 section, click the "magnifying glass Search" icon, enter "w-2" in the search window and press return or enter, and then click on the "Jump to w-2" link to edit your W-2 for that job.

You will then need to delete the NY W-2.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

1 Reply
KarenJ2
Expert Alumni

You fix your entry for the "NY" W-2 that has only the state data and not the federal data, you need to go back to the" NJ" W-2 the "State & local taxes" section where you entered the NJ data.  Then, "Add another row" and enter the NY data for boxes 15, 16, and 17.

To get back to the W-2 section, click the "magnifying glass Search" icon, enter "w-2" in the search window and press return or enter, and then click on the "Jump to w-2" link to edit your W-2 for that job.

You will then need to delete the NY W-2.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

About Community

Learn about taxes, budgeting, saving, borrowing, reducing debt, investing, and planning for retirement.

3.48m
Members

2.61m
Discussions

Manage cookies
v