Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts All About the Refund! >> Event happening NOW!!!!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

WI State Exemption(Line 37) as Non resident alien for tax purposes

Hi,

I am on F1 student and filing federal and WI state taxes as a non-resident alien for tax purposes. While filing WI state tax return, I encountered a field(line no. 37) title exemptions. It says

The exemptions allowed for you (and your spouse, if married) on line 37a are equal to: 0 - If you are single and can be claimed as a dependent on someone else’s return, or if you are married filing jointly and both you and your spouse can be claimed as a dependent on someone else’s return. 1 - If you are single and cannot be claimed as a dependent on someone else’s return, or if you are married filing jointly and either you or your spouse (not both) can be claimed as a dependent on someone else’s return. 2 - If you are married filing jointly and neither you nor your spouse can be claimed as a dependent on someone else’s return.

I am single and cannot be claimed by anyone as a dependent but a foreign student I am not sure if I can claim this exemption. 

Should I fill 1 or 0 here?

Thanks in advance

PS: Their eFile 1-NPR form is not letting me fill 0.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
pk
Level 15
Level 15

WI State Exemption(Line 37) as Non resident alien for tax purposes

@anshuv99  for state purposes  you have to use the state rules of residency not the immigration or federal.  In your case you should be filing a resident state return and claiming your yourself for exemption purposes.

Namaste  / Namashkar

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies