turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Why won't TurboTax let me enter any DC College Savings Plan 529 contributions for 2019? I moved in 2019 but did contribute money to the 529 in 2019 as a DC resident.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
SusanY1
Expert Alumni

Why won't TurboTax let me enter any DC College Savings Plan 529 contributions for 2019? I moved in 2019 but did contribute money to the 529 in 2019 as a DC resident.

You will enter this when you are working on the DC return (not in the federal entries).  As long as you are marked as at least a part-year resident, you will see the option on the page titled District of Columbia Subtractions - Click Start beside "DC college savings plan" - it should be the third from the bottom on this list.  

The very top of this page reads "Deductible Items in DC" - this may help you to spot it!

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thanks, Susan! The problem is actually occuring on that page of my DC "state" tax return -- when I go to enter my contribution on the Scchedule I form "Additions to and Subtractions from 2019 Federal Adjusted Gross Income," Turbotax will not let me enter any number and throws a popup saying, "Schedule I: College Savings Plan Payment cannot exceed income received while living out of DC."

But my 529 contributions in 2019 did exceed the amount I have made since moving out of state to start graduate school full-time.  Do you have any sense as to why I'm getting this error?

DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

Unless i am ready something entirely different and correct me if i  am wrong. Your error reads "Schedule I: College Savings Plan Payment cannot exceed income received while living out of DC." and you said my 529 contributions in 2019 did exceed the amount I have made since moving out of state to start graduate school full-time. This just means the contribution is disallowed based on those parameters and turbo Tax is alerting you of this fact. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies