turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

W2 for state I didn't live

So I'm Self Employed living in California. I'm software developer so I have clients all over the states and usually receive 1099. 

Recently, I received a W2 from client that is in Colorado ( Expected 1099 ). Even more, I have paid CO tax on that income. The amount is $420.

My question is, how do I handle that in Turbotax Self Employed? I never lived and don't have any sort of income from CO state, besides this weird W2. I talked with client so we handled this situation going forward, however he filed 2019 already. How do i handle this situation?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

You will report this W2 as income on your federal return. You will need to file a Colorado non-resident return to claim the refund from your Co state withholding. When you enter information in your Colorado non resident state return, there is an entry you will make regarding what your Colorado wages are in relation to the rest of the federal income. Often,This amount will automatically populate when you arrive at this entry in your state interview.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

1 Reply
DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

You will report this W2 as income on your federal return. You will need to file a Colorado non-resident return to claim the refund from your Co state withholding. When you enter information in your Colorado non resident state return, there is an entry you will make regarding what your Colorado wages are in relation to the rest of the federal income. Often,This amount will automatically populate when you arrive at this entry in your state interview.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies