turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Unemployment as non-taxable income in CA for 2021

On my California state taxes when filing when the info from the federal transferred, my unemployment income doesn't seem to be taxed and it doesn't say I owe anything to the state. I am on the enter your tax paid and I don't know what to fill in here either. Will I be in trouble with the FTB if I submit it like this? I read that CA for benefits received in 2021 is non-taxable income. 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

California doesn’t tax unemployment payments.  If you have made estimated payments to California enter that amount. Otherwise you don’t have to enter anything. Any tax otherwise withheld would be reported automatically by the program as you filled out your income forms. 

Ok, but I just want to be sure so what exactly would count as an estimated payment to CA? As an example? Thanks

Everything is entered on the federal side.  You entered a 1099G for unemployment.  Then CA subtracted it out.  Any tax withholding is in box 4 for federal and state withholding in box 11.  

Estimated payments is if you sent in any quarterly extra payments during the year on CA 540ES slips to cover any income that didn't withholding taken out.   If you don't know what it is then you probably didn't send in any extra during the year. 

Ok thanks so much

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies