turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Turbo Tax Ripping Me off?

I have to file five state returns. That's screwed up enough. That means I had to pay $45 per state return beyond the one included with TT Home & Business. On top of that, even though I'm using tax software to prepare my returns, TT says I can only e-file three states and charging me $25 each. Where's the one included with Home & Business? And why pay $45 per state tax return when most of that information filled out on Fed return and transferred to state? I bought Home & Business for $65. Seems a real disparity to be paying $70 per state on top of that. Money where you can get it I suppose. And bad enough states require you to pay their tax when you're there for three days on business.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies
GiseleD
Expert Alumni

What states do you need to file? Please advise, as we can look up links to the state forms so you can file them on your own for free. Please note, you will have to fill them in yourself.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Like I said, I think it was in this post - yes, I could start from scratch with each state. But one of the reasons to buy TT is to get your Fed and State returns done expeditiously. My complaint is the disproportionate cost. I get the Home & Business from amazon for $65. I get my federal return done, my Sch C, one state return done. Yet for the 2 page AZ return that took TT less than 10 minutes to do, another $45. Aside from TT ripping me off - it's stupid that I have to file five state tax returns when I did one job in AZ, SC and CA and two jobs in NY. Less than five days for AZ, SC and CA each. And the payroll company counts the entire five days in each of those states on their W-2. In reality on two of the days I flew from and back to my home state. Why does it cost $25 to e-file a state return and nothing for the federal return? And why don't states do like NY does and not charge you $25 if you use tax software. They realize you already paid the piper.

GiseleD
Expert Alumni

I can still provide the links to the state forms if you are interested in self-preparing them outside of TurboTax. Please advise; I'd be happy to help. 

@paddams

I could find the links. I’m done. Filed. But think TT overly greedy. $180 xtra for state returns. And $25 each e file. Do the math. If I only had one state return it would’ve been $65 + $25. Done. Instead $280 + the initial $90. I think TT is a rip off & I think paying taxes & filing a return to non resident states is a rip off. Just like luggage fees. Do states Xfer TT info on their websites? Say yes & I would go that route. Do the states charge the $25 e file charge or is that just TT? Is it a contrived TT fee?

Thanks. 

ReginaM
Expert Alumni

You can check the fees that were charged to you by TurboTax by following these steps:

• While in your Tax Home,
  • Scroll down to Tax Tools,
  • Select Tools,
  • Select My Fees.

If you haven't already filed your return, then follow these directions to remove any un-wanted charges:

You can compare the Online fees here,  https://turbotax.intuit.com/personal-taxes/online/

But you would need to use the Self employed version to fill out schedule C.  Then each state return is $50 (click on State Additional) to prepare (no efiling fee).    In the Desktop program you can use any version to fill out schedule C.  All the Desktop programs have the same forms.  You can  print and mail the state returns for free to at least save the 24.99 efile fee.  And the Desktop programs have several other advantages over the online version.

Oh, and I think you can efile more than 3 states in the Online version.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies