turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How do I claim the Maryland hometown heroes tax credit?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

To take advantage of the Maryland Hometown Heros Act tax break, you must include Form 502SU, Subtractions From Income, when completing your Maryland tax return.  This form will be available in TurboTax on January 26, 2018.

The first $15,000 of Retirement Income for first responders and emergency personnel at least 55 years old will not be subject to state tax.  This includes law enforcement officers or fire, rescue, or emergency services personnel (emergency medical technicians and paramedics) of the United States, the State, or a political subdivision of the State.  Beneficiaries are not eligible for this exclusion.

For 2018:  The Hometown Heroes Act of 2018 will expand the previous law to include correctional officers.  Also, the bill will exempt ALL retirement income received from these occupations from state income taxes.

View solution in original post

2 Replies

To take advantage of the Maryland Hometown Heros Act tax break, you must include Form 502SU, Subtractions From Income, when completing your Maryland tax return.  This form will be available in TurboTax on January 26, 2018.

The first $15,000 of Retirement Income for first responders and emergency personnel at least 55 years old will not be subject to state tax.  This includes law enforcement officers or fire, rescue, or emergency services personnel (emergency medical technicians and paramedics) of the United States, the State, or a political subdivision of the State.  Beneficiaries are not eligible for this exclusion.

For 2018:  The Hometown Heroes Act of 2018 will expand the previous law to include correctional officers.  Also, the bill will exempt ALL retirement income received from these occupations from state income taxes.

For the tax year 2019, the (Maryland) Hometown Heros act was increased from the first $15000 to "All" retirement income?

Bill

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies