turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

The program is not letting me add interest paid on US Government obligations to my mutual funds. How do I fix this/

I have tried with and without the pennies and with three different mutual funds.  Nothing works.  No matter how many times I add the numbers and check to make sure I have done it correctly the numbers disappear and the system flags those funds for review.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

The program is not letting me add interest paid on US Government obligations to my mutual funds. How do I fix this/

@robin_wolf 

That's a bug in the Online software that's just been discovered in the last few days as the Brokerages just released millions of 1099-DIV forms over the weekend..  (not a problem with the Desktop software).

It may take a few weeks to get fixed....check on Fridays, since software updates usually occur only on Wed or Thurs evenings.

See discussion here where the software BUG was confirmed:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/taxes/discussion/re-why-does-turbotax-page-not-accept-the-value-i-...

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*

@robin_wolf 

We found a workaround:

go back and 

1) Edit the 1099-DIV in question

2)  On the page that shows boxes 1a, 1b and 2a....just click on the box to show all the other boxes ( you apparently don't need )  "My form has info in other boxes

3)  Scroll to the bottom of the page, and hit "Continue"

4) Next page make sure you have the "A portion of these dividends is U.S. Government interest" and hit "Continue"

5) Enter the US govt interest in the box provided and continue out to the 1099-DIV table.

should be OK now.......don't uncheck that box in step #2 or it will go away again.

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies