turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

The Maine Revenue Services modified my 2017 return stating that I didn't qualify for the Rent Credit, and you guys did. So an explanation would be great.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

The Maine Revenue Services modified my 2017 return stating that I didn't qualify for the Rent Credit, and you guys did. So an explanation would be great.

No one else can see your tax return or access your account.  Nor does anyone have access to the letter you received from your state.  No one at TurboTax knows what the state of Maine changed on your state return.  Provide more details about what the letter says.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Basically I was denied the renters tax credit because my rent wasn't more than 40% of my income.  The deductions from the federal return put me at -600 and SSDI wasn't counted as earned income as Turbotax has been guiding me for three years now as it is.  The law in our constitution hasn't changed since 2016.  Did they decide to challenge me now and consider my income to be earned income?  And Turbotax guided my income to be -600.  These are my only guesses as to how the laws and algorithms work.  Any information would be appreciated.  Thanks.  BTW I am autistic and I am trying to do my best and be responsible with finances like you guys!!

• Posting error.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies