turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

rmacneil

Taxes are being taken out of my paycheck by SC and GA. Do I have to file in both states?

Do I have to amend my taxes?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

Taxes are being taken out of my paycheck by SC and GA. Do I have to file in both states?

the only way to get any refund due to you by either state is to file for that state. please clarify why taxes from both states are being taken out. 

rjs
Level 15
Level 15

What state do you live in?
What state do you work in?

@rmacneil wrote:
Do I have to amend my taxes?

Amending means making a correction to a tax return that you already filed. You don't have to amend unless you already filed a tax return that was not correct.

Hal_Al
Level 15

This is the general rule: The income is work state (WS) source income since it was earned there. Resident States (RS) tax all their resident's income, regardless of where earned. You will file a non-resident tax return for the WS and report the WS income. You will file a full year resident return for the RS, reporting all your income. The RS will give you a credit, or partial credit for any tax paid to the WS.

Did you move from one state to the other?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies