turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

State Taxes

What to do if you have already filed your federal and receive your return, yet need to finish your state taxes using Turbo Tax? 

I have already filed and received my federal taxes earlier this month, but have not filed for my state taxes until earlier this week. Can I still file and pay my state taxes using Turbo, or will I need to file elsewhere? If I need to file on Turbo, how can I do this or will there be any difficulties? 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

State Taxes

That's right. If the federal return has been e-filed and accepted then you may go back and complete & file the state return. TurboTax won't ask you to file your federal again. It will let you "pick up where you left off" filing. 

Step-by-step guide to file for State

1. Login to your TurboTax account.
2. Select Show on your Tax Home screen, then Your tax returns and documents.
3. Make sure the current tax year is highlighted, then select Add a state.
4. Select the State Taxes tab.
5. Select Continue to start or complete your state taxes.
6. Select Done with State.
7. Continue through the flow to review and file your state taxes.

Hope that was helpful. 

Tia

View solution in original post

26 Replies

State Taxes

Hi, 

I can help get your question answered. To better assist you, did you file your federal return with TurboTax?  

Tia

State Taxes

Yes. I have already filed my Federal returns using Turbo, and have received my refund. I just need to file for my state (In my case 2) 

State Taxes

Oh great that makes it super easy. Sign into your TurboTax account and scroll down the page look for and click the "add a state" button. 

Happy Tax Day!

Tia

State Taxes

Since I had already received my federal and it has been processed, it won't think I am filing twice? I can process the state return separately or bypass processing the federal again? 

State Taxes

That's right. If the federal return has been e-filed and accepted then you may go back and complete & file the state return. TurboTax won't ask you to file your federal again. It will let you "pick up where you left off" filing. 

Step-by-step guide to file for State

1. Login to your TurboTax account.
2. Select Show on your Tax Home screen, then Your tax returns and documents.
3. Make sure the current tax year is highlighted, then select Add a state.
4. Select the State Taxes tab.
5. Select Continue to start or complete your state taxes.
6. Select Done with State.
7. Continue through the flow to review and file your state taxes.

Hope that was helpful. 

Tia

State Taxes

OK. So I went to file my state taxes, but revcieved a "Duplicate Social Security Number" error. I'm choosing not to E-file, but paper file. If I choose this route, and I hope I'm not asking a obvious question, but I would just print the completed tax documents from Turbo, who would sign as the preparer, and since I'm paper filing would I need to cancel the documents on Turbo Tax or just print the PDFs?

PaulaM
Employee Tax Expert

State Taxes

Yes, print your state tax return to paper file. Your return is self prepared, so just sign where indicated on your state return. Mailing instructions will print with the return.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
airjam42

State Taxes

Yes.  I work in TN and have a full time residence in TN, but I also have a house in AL.  Do i have to pay AL state taxes on the income I make in TN

Vernel

State Taxes

yes i did
3Caballos
Returning Member

State Taxes

Good morning; I filed my 2018 federal and state tax returns with Turbotax on April 12, 2019. Yesterday I received a Return adjustment notice, proposed assessment from the state of NM  saying I owe $3,874.46.  The second page has the specific reason for Adjustment:  "PIT-1 line 31, Reported payment is not in our records."  My Turbotax record for the state filing, line 31 has an amount of $3,910.  How can I resolve this issue?  My copy of the form says at the top "Do not mail". 

Your assistance is greatly appreciated.

State Taxes

@3Caballos 

Did you e-file your state return?  How did you pay your tax due?  Do you have bank/credit card records showing that you paid?

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
3Caballos
Returning Member

State Taxes

Yes; according to Turbotax it was $97.

3Caballos
Returning Member

State Taxes

Yes I e-filed and yes, my bank statement shows the payment posted.

State Taxes

$97 could have been your TurboTax fees.  Do you show that you paid NM?  What are they saying they changed on your state return?  Look at your actual state tax return.  What does it say for tax due?

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies