turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

state taxes

I lived in Hawaii for part of the year, and then did a detail with the federal government and moved to Seattle.  Since it's a detail, do I file in Hawaii or in Seattle for the second part of the year?

Thank you.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
DanielV01
Expert Alumni

state taxes

Did you move, or were you temporarily located in Seattle?  If you didn't sell your HI residence, and you were physically present in Hawaii for at least 1/2 of the year, it won't matter.  You will be a statutory resident of Hawaii, and all of your income is taxable to Hawaii.

If you were present for less than half the year you can file your Hawaii return as a nonresident and claim only the income you earned in Hawaii.

If you actually moved from Hawaii (changed your domicile to Washington, and no longer have a domicile in Hawaii), then you can file a part-year return for Hawaii even though you lived there for more than 1/2 of the year.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

state taxes

And....WA has no state income tax.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

state taxes

I sold my property in March, and live in a rental in Hawaii until July.  I moved all of my belongings to Seattle in late July.  From your note, I believe that I can claim 7 months residency in Hawaii, and 5 months in Washington for the purposes of state taxes.

Thank you very much,

Seema

DanielV01
Expert Alumni

state taxes

Understandable that you wish to take advantage of this since Washington does not have state taxes.  The main point is that you have to be able to prove it should Hawaii ask, but you sound that you probably have proof for your stance.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies