turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

State paper ammended return after e-file

It I e-filed my State of MA taxes, and it was accepted, then if I had to amend the return, I know I have to send in a paper return.  My question is, do I also have to include/attach all W2s, 1099, etc, that are requested if I had originally filed by paper, and not e-file??

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
MayaD
Employee Tax Expert

You only need to send the forms that document the changes you made to your return. For example, if you added another form W-2 when you amended your return then you would send a copy of it.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

If I owed money on the first e-filed claim, and still owe money, but less on the amended paper claim, do I send in the new amount only by the 15th?

JohnW222
Expert Alumni

It depends on the scenario you’re describing, but let’s look at it this way.

Let’s assume you owed $100 on your original return.  Your amended return shows you actually only owed $85 – that is, your total tax owed should’ve been $85 if everything had been reported on your original return.  If you didn’t pay with your original return, send in $85 with your amended return.  If you paid $100 with your original return, don’t send in anything – you’re due a refund.

But, if you owed $100 on your original return and your amended return shows you owe $85 more – that is, your total tax owed should’ve been $185 if everything had been reported on your original return -- then send in $85 if you paid $100 with your original return, or $185 if you sent in nothing with your original return.

Lastly, if I go through the process to amend the return, correct the information along the way, but at the end decide I do not want to file an amended return, then I can just exit out of the return, and no changes will be made or saved from my original, correct ??

DaveF1006
Employee Tax Expert

The system still may store the changes you made. i would suggest that you go through your return and undo any changes you made and after you do this, go to tax tools>tools>delete a form. Delete the form 1040X if you see that in your list of forms.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies