Re: Oregon claims I owe $ after TurboTax calculate...

Oregon claims I owe $ after TurboTax calculated a refund, stating "OR income tax deducted on Sched A must be subtracted from itemized deductions" - your error! Not cool!

You may be able to submit a claim under the TurboTax 100% Accurate Calculation Guarantee. 

Please see the instructions for filing a claim under the 100% Accurate Calculation Guarantee.

TurboTax cannot guarantee against user error.  Did you possibly make an incorrect entry on your return, or forget to enter some necessary information?

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.**

352 helpful votes

What is the TurboTax 100% Accurate Calculation Guarantee?

In plain English, if you pay an IRS or state penalty or interest because of a TurboTax calculation error, we'll pay you the penalty and interest.

For complete details, see our Intuit Software End User License Agreement (look about 2/3 of the way down the page, under the heading TurboTax Accurate Calculation Guarantee).

You can read the fine print at the Intuit Software End User License Agreement for TurboTax Desktop Software or the End User License Agreement for TurboTax Online. Enter accurate calculation in the Find feature in your browser (usually listed under Edit) to go to it quickly.

Regardless of fault, if your original return was incorrect, the easiest remedy is to submit an amended return.  If your amended return is correct, Oregon will refund any excess payment you previously made.

Oregon gives you three years from the date the return is originally filed or from the due date of the return, whichever is later, to file an amended return. If you're filing an amended return claiming a refund, you have two years from the date of any tax being paid, if that is later than the three-year statute.

Intuit only pays Penalties and Interest assessed by Oregon for TTX's software error....period.  

You probably experienced this Oregon software error, so you should be able to get the penalties and interest refunded if Oregon assessed any:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/amending/help/oregon-schedule-or-a-amend-instructions/01/27588

I just got off the phone with the IRS and this problem is NOT user error. They flat out said that this is a TurboTax issue that happened to anyone who filed their taxes early in Oregon (I did mine in Jan). It's an error on TurboTaxe's part that has to do with a schedule A with itemized deductions. The IRS now wants over $700 back from me, 11 months later. I will NEVER use this software again.

Yes ... see the post above yours ... there was an issue early in the tax year(a good reason to NOT file early until all the bugs are worked out)    ... TT acknowledges it  AND sent emails to all those that  could have been affected with the instructions on how to fix it BEFORE the end of season to avoid penalties and interest from the state.   

If you failed to make the correction timely then you were at fault however you should get the penalties & interest waived by  citing the issue the program had but the taxes are yours to pay ... you would have owed them anyway even if the return was done correctly in the first place.  

And the IRS is federal ... you must have been talking to the state  ...

2018 Oregon Schedule OR-A Amend Instructions

If you used TurboTax to file your 2018 Oregon state tax return prior to February 1, 2019, you may have overstated the Oregon Itemized Deductions, leading to an underpayment of tax. We fixed the issue in TurboTax and we want to make sure you have the information to determine if your return is complete and accurate.

We suggest you amend the Oregon state income tax return and pay the additional tax due on or before April 15, 2019 to avoid penalties and interest on the underpayment of tax.

What you need to do

You can amend your return yourself:

After the changes are made to your tax return, mail the amended return to:

Oregon Department of Revenue

P.O. Box 14720

Salem, OR 97309-0463

We're here to help if you have questions or need assistance.  You can call us at 1-866-278-9691 (Monday through Sunday, 5 a.m. to 5 p.m. Pacific Time) to reach a Tax Expert who is prepared to assist you with this issue. Tell the Expert you’re calling about: 2018 Oregon Schedule OR-A.

Remember to keep a copy of your amended state return in your tax files.

Again, we apologize. If you have additional questions, please contact us at  1-866-278-9691 (Monday through Sunday, 5 a.m. to 9 p.m. Pacific Time).

If I received that e-mail I cannot find it nor do I remember it. At the end of the day this was a TT glitch and I would have received a much smaller amt back without owing anything. Due to their software error I was given what I thought was a legitimate  refund. That was 11 months ago and that money has been spent. It’s simply a poor product. One shouldn’t be penalized for doing taxes in a timely manner only to find out that because you did, you are a product of undiscovered glitches that a well trusted company (that I’ve used for years) figured out too late. It’s a mess. 
on a better note- the CPA from the TT help page that assisted me through the amendment was knowledgeable and great. She made this problem a little better. 

Has anyone had any luck getting this straightened out? 

Department of revenue says the amount I owe isn't even eligible for a payment plan, $666 plus interest.