Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

BDNTPA
Returning Member

NYC and NY taxes

I will be starting a job with a company based in NYC in mid August this year. I have the following questions:

1. If due to the COVID situation, I end up working Aug-Dec 31 remotely (from Texas where there is no state income tax), do I still have to file NYC and NY state taxes? Will I owe taxes to either one?

2. If I live and work in NYC for 3.5 months this year, can I still be considered a TX resident for 2020?

Will I owe NYC and NY taxes in that case?

Thanks in advance

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies
TomD8
Level 15

NYC and NY taxes

1.  New York is one of the few states that taxes non-resident remote workers, in certain circumstances.  NY uses the "convenience of the employer" doctrine, which says that if you work remotely for your own convenience (rather than that of your employer), your income from that work is subject to NY income tax.*

2.  Any income you have from work actually (physically) performed in New York is taxable by NY, regardless of whether or not you are a NY resident.

*https://www.tax.ny.gov/pdf/memos/income/m06_5i.pdf

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.
BDNTPA
Returning Member

NYC and NY taxes

Tom - thanks so much for the detailed reply and also the link you provided. Has there any recent guidance

from NY as to the "convenience" question as it applies to COVID? For example, I do not have the choice

of going in to the office (my employer is requiring all employees to work from home since the Manhattan office is closed)?

TomD8
Level 15

NYC and NY taxes

According to the first blog post in this reference, dated May 29, there is a bill before the NY senate that would make non-resident remote worker income tax-exempt because of COVID-19:  https://caroprese.co/blog

And according to this reference, that bill was "referred to committee":  https://nyassembly.gov/leg/?default_fld=&leg_video=&bn=S08386&term=2019&Summary=Y&Actions=Y

So it looks like the answer to your question is still up in the air at this point.

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.
BDNTPA
Returning Member

NYC and NY taxes

Strange that the summary of the bill"

"Authorizes businesses to designate work performed remotely due to the outbreak of COVID-19 to have been performed at its normal work location for state and local tax purposes for the duration of the state disaster emergency declared pursuant to executive order 202."

contradicts what the blog says. I read the above as saying that remote work will be considered on-site work for tax purposes.

Does it not?

TomD8
Level 15

NYC and NY taxes

That’s what the bill says but at the bottom of the reference under “action” it says referred to committee.  So I read it that it hasn’t yet been passed into law.  Just my reading.

BDNTPA
Returning Member

NYC and NY taxes

What I meant was, the way the bill reads, it says that remote work will be taxable, not non-taxable as the blog says.

TomD8
Level 15

NYC and NY taxes

For what it's worth, found this reference that's consistent with the blog:

https://taxnews.ey.com/news/2020-1411-new-york-senate-bill-would-allow-businesses-to-treat-income-ea...

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies