Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Unc702352

Non Resident Alabama taxes

I've not paid taxes to the State of Alabama for a while because i was told  since i was not a resident of Alabama and the jobs i worked in Alabama were full time hours but only temporary postions, i had no tax obligation to Alabama.  Well, it appears that was wrong.  Its not much money but they have now hit me up all the way back to 2010.  Question: How far can Alabama go back on me.  Isn't there a limited time frame?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
TomD8
Level 15

You'll find Alabama's rules here: https://revenue.alabama.gov/taxpayer-advocacy/taxpayer-bill-of-rights/ 

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.
Anonymous
Not applicable

since you haven't file, the statute of limitations never starts to run,.  this is the same as for Federal purposes.  

you can pay the taxes the state says you owe or use  the services of a pro (could cost more than the taxes you owe and you would still have to pay the taxes)  

if you live in a state that has an income tax, you may be able to amend the last few years to get a credit for the taxes you owed to AL for each of those years,  (credits for taxes on income taxed by resident and nonresident state usually go by the amount owed and not the  amount paid or when it was paid)  

if you itemize for Federal purpose, you'll may be able to claim the deduction for the taxes, but not penalties or interest, paid to AL in the year you pay them.  There is a $ limit for the amount of deductible taxes for Federal purposes.   

doesn't matter whether you work full or part time in a "permanent" or temporary position and receive a W-2, 1099 or nothing at all  in a non resident  state that has an income tax.  usually you'll need to file and pay the taxes due 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies