turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

NH State Interest Dividend Income Tax

What is wrong with your program for NH State Interest Dividend Income Tax.

Second year trying to use it. Moved several obvious taxable interest items over to Section 4 of the NH form as non taxable. Only one of several items was correct.  

Then it indicated errors due to not entering the reason code telling me to correct it.

After returning to that section for review, it wouldn't even let me enter a code on the one accurate non taxable item.

DO NOT USE TURBO TAX'S NH STATE DIVIDEND INTEREST PROGRAM.

Asked for help on this with Turbo's CPA because it gave me concerns about the way Turbo may have handled it on the Federal Tax.  CPA sent me a link to allow me to review detail data I had auto imported from source.

Maybe last year for TurboTax. Could have done this myself in less time.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
fek8
Level 2

Yes, I've had lots of problems with the NH form too.  When it does the checking, it complains about 6 items that are wrong and need to be fixed (line 17A, C, and D; and line 18 A, C, and D). But, it already has this data from previous questions it asked  (or, so I thought), but now I don't know if it is really the same information I already supplied, or it's something different.  I can't tell what to put here.

This is part of calculating the penalty because Turbo Tax also screwed up last year in the estimated tax payments for this year.

fek8
Level 2

OK, found part of the problem by doing the form by hand.

In the directions, it says that for exception option (B), only fill in the columns in line 17 (form DP-2210) for which an underpayment occurred.  As a result, in my case, only column B has any values in it - column A, C, D are all empty. Because that's what the instructions say.

BUT, when the TurboTax "checks" are run, it finds these EMPTY cells in the DP-2210 form, and declares an ERROR and refuses to proceed until there is a value in the cell that the instructions tell you to LEAVE BLANK.  So, I put in a value (that can then be ignored), and it WORKS by ignoring the value that isn't needed in the first place.  The same think happens on line 18.

So when the check failed, I went back and manually edited the form to enter dates in row 17 and zero into row18 so the checks now pass.  I just hope it's right - it seems to be based on my reading of the paper instructions and manually filling out the form by hand - so WHY did I pay for TurboTax?

Int and Div uploaded from Financial Institution. Posted correctly to Federal. Misclassed several line items as non taxable and instructed me to fill in reason code. Classification was wrong and T TAX wouldn't let me correct it on the form. After hours playing with it, finally got T TAX to clear the NH State Form.  Rechecked the Federal and didn't answer question on individual Int & Div income as to whether NH & other selected states treated some Int & Div differently.  T TAX then correctly classified all taxable and non taxable amounts but wouldn't let me access the reason code for a $20 auto uploaded item but told me it needed to be inserted. Finally, with the help of a T TAX agent, I was able to "GUESS" the reason code and enter it as he walked me through it.  This process took hours each day over several days delaying even the Federal return since I wasn't comfortable with that if T TAX couldn't even do a NH return (would have taken less than an hour to download NH forms and fill them out manually).  If TTAX can't do it, they shouldn't offer it.  Should rebate the entire price I paid to use them this year.  Total Rip off. Will be doing NH manually next year. Too simple to pay $50 for. Just carryover line items from Federal.

NancyNH

A year later and the problem is still not fixed.  TT did federal forms correctly but on NH DP-10 TT incorrectly classified one interest income entry as not taxable in NH with an amount of zero.  Errored because TT wants a reason code.  Can't manually delete entry.  Really don't want to do the DP-10 by hand as other reviewers did.   TT, please fix your software!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies