Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

SH-Howell

New York State Income Allocation

I live in NJ but I work in NY, therefore I file a NY non-resident return. On March 23, 2020, my NY office physically closed through the remainder of 2020 due to Covid-19. My employer required, while the office was closed, that I work at home and telecommute. My working at home was not at my convenience. Can I allocate all my earnings after March 22nd outside New York State?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
MaryK4
Expert Alumni

No, you must allocate the wages to New York even though you were not able to work in the state.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
SH-Howell

Not sure I agree. Did some research last night and found TSB-M-06(5)I, NY Tax Treatment of Non-Residents and Part Year Residents Application of the Convenience of the Employer Test to Telecommuters and Others. The primary factor test is not met but 4 of the 5 secondary factors and 3 of the Other factors are met. 

TomD8
Level 15

@SH-Howell -- Here is New York State's Covid rule:

"If you are a nonresident whose primary office is in New York State, your days telecommuting during the pandemic are considered days worked in the state unless your employer has established a bona fide employer office at your telecommuting location.

There are a number of factors that determine whether your employer has established a bona fide employer office at your telecommuting location. In general, unless your employer specifically acted to establish a bona fide employer office at your telecommuting location, you will continue to owe New York State income tax on income earned while telecommuting."

https://www.tax.ny.gov/pit/file/nonresident-faqs.htm

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies