turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

New Minnesota Tax Legislation

Minnesota just passed some major legislation exempting PPP loan forgiveness and up to $10,200 in extra federal unemployment benefits. As far as I can tell, TurboTax hasn't produced updates to reflect this -- when will these updates be available?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies

MN updated its law YESTERDAY---TurboTax cannot update  tax law changes in the software overnight.   Read the information from your state which advises you to check back later in the summer.

https://www.revenue.state.mn.us/tax-law-changes

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Any idea of when these updates will take effect? I know a few other companies have already updated their software.

@Omakakii wrote:

Any idea of when these updates will take effect? I know a few other companies have already updated their software.

Minnesota Department of Revenue website - https://www.revenue.state.mn.us/tax-law-changes

Tax Year 2020

If you filed a 2020 income tax return that included unemployment compensation or PPP loan forgiveness, we'll either adjust the return or ask you to amend it.  

• If we can adjust your return: We'll send you a letter describing what we changed and any refund you may receive as a result. We're committed to adjusting as many returns as we can. 

• If you need to amend (due to these law changes): Wait until you hear from us before filing an amended return. We'll let you know if we can adjust your return or if you need to amend it.

• If you have not filed a 2020 return or filed for an extension: You may file using the updated forms to claim the recently passed unemployment and PPP loan forgiveness income exclusions and deductions.

The M1NC form on TurboTax Premier is not up to date. It still includes some nonconformity items that the updated forms available on MN Dept of Revenue's website show as eliminated (e.g. Line 9, PPP loan forgiveness). I keep checking for updates on TurboTax and it says my forms are up to date.

Any suggestions?

MN Dept of Revenue updated M1NC: https://www.revenue.state.mn.us/sites/default/files/2021-07/m1nc_20_0.pdf

I concur. Currently unable to file my MN return because unemployment calculation is incorrect and form is outdated.

Intuit, please update ASAP or provide a workaround.

I just spoke with TurboTax Support, and after digging some more they said there should be an update for those forms out next Wednesday.

I had spoken with support as well.

They told me there is no ETA.

Let's hope for Wednesday.

The calculations for COVID-19 related IRA distributions is also incorrect.

Manage cookies