turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

my wife's employer is withholding illinois taxes, but we live and work in kentucky, how do we fix this?

my wife's employer is withholding illinois taxes, but we live and work in kentucky, how do we fix this?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

...so your wife needs to talk to either HR or the Payroll department at her employer to get that fixed.

IF you moved your residence (both of you) from IL to KY in 2019, and did not inform the employer/HR/Payroll of your new address in KY, then that could definitely be what caused the problem.  IF you did move your residence to KY from IL in 2019, you will have to file a part-year resident tax forms set for both IL and KY when you do your 2019 taxes in Feb-Apr of 2020

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*
Hal_Al
Level 15

If you work in Illinois and are a resident of Iowa, Kentucky, Michigan, or Wisconsin, you can submit exemption Form IL-W-5-NR to your employer.  

https://www2.illinois.gov/rev/forms/withholding/Documents/currentyear/il-w-5-nr.pdf

However, if she is a contract employee (she gets a 1099-Misc, instead of a W-2), the rules may be different, if she works anytime in IL

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies