turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

My MI State tax return per Turbo Tax 2018 was >$4K but the state refunded only half

After a 3 months wait, I finally got a letter from the Dept of Treasury saying that my claimed subtraction for the MESP was adjusted to agree with the amount included in the AGI on my federal return.  This resulted in a tax liability increase and subsequent halving of my refund and that is the state's final determination.

I thought Turbo Tax guarantees accurate calculation of the taxes.   Is there an error in the fomula used?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

My MI State tax return per Turbo Tax 2018 was >$4K but the state refunded only half

The guarantee tax calculations, they don't guarantee data entry is correct.  

What exactly is MESP?  Did the program already do the adjustment and then you did it again manually making it double and the state disallowed the double deduction?

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥ ¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪

I can of course understand that the Software is not responsible for what data is entered.

MESP = Michigan Education Savings Program

I don't remember changing anything manually.  The AGI should have got transferred directly from my Federal return.  The Treasury's letter says that my claimed subtraction was adjusted to agree with the AGI.  I just followed the questionnaire and input the information as requested.  The Software did flag errors during final audit that showed that information I had entered had gone missing and I had to enter it again but that seemed to have to do more with textual information and not any numbers.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies