turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

kellenb53
Returning Member

Moved but no income from North Carolina only MA and Federal

I moved to North Carolina at the end of Sept, Only income is from 401k distribution earlier in year, Unemployment from MA (still receiving) and Social Security (monthly).  I do not have any income formally from North Carolina.  Do I need to file for NC and if so,  do I allocate 3 months of income from these sources to North Carolina?  I received a 1099R for 401k disbursement at my North Carolina address, but the distribution all occurred while I was in MA, the Turbotax income section  states to indicate the state I received the actual form in, even though all taxes taken were MA. What state and % should I be using?

Thank You in Advance

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
Hal_Al
Level 15

Yes, you need to file a part year resident NC tax return.  Your MA return will also be as part year resident. 

Nether NC or MA tax social security. The unemployment compensation received after the move is taxable by NC., even though it's from MA dept of labor.  

Don't know where you're reading "the Turbotax income section  states to indicate the state I received the actual form in", but that's not correct.  Your 401k distribution is taxable by MA only, since that's where you were k=living when the $ was received. 

kellenb53
Returning Member

Hal_Al ,Thank you so much for the quick reply, appreciate the clarification. Now back to continuing to to input the info and buying the second state TurboTax 🙂

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies