Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

mandn

Married filing joint with one partner part resident in CA and OR and other full resident in CA.

I worked and lived in Oregon Jan - Sep 2018, and moved to a new job in California (and live in CA) Oct - Dec 2018. My spouse was a CA resident working in CA the entire time. For CA taxes,

1. should the taxable income be what I earned in OR + what I earned in CA and what spouse earned in CA.

2. should the taxable income for CA be only what we earned in CA (both earnings in CA alone) and we take care of the OR earnings in OR state tax. 

And if its option 1 (where all our income is taxable in CA) then can we claim a credit for the other state tax paid in OR while I was a CA non-resident?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

Married filing joint with one partner part resident in CA and OR and other full resident in CA.

Option 2 - income you earned during the period you were not living or working in CA is not taxable by CA.

However, you can't file a joint CA tax return and have this handled properly (you and your spouse have different residency periods).

You can file a joint federal return and separate state returns, but it’s recommended that you use the CD/Download version of TurboTax.

See this article for more information:

It appears that filing married with separate returns would be an easy option.   How you file your federal return does not dictate how you file the state returns.  The solution seems to be that you file the federal return as married filing jointly.  Then, you file a part-year return for the state of CA and a part-year return for OR.  For the spouse, he/she will file a full-year resident return in CA.   Each return reflects the income earned by each person.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies