turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Live in CA, paid by Employer in NC

The non-profit I work for is considering moving from CA to NC. I live in CA and will continue to work remotely in CA. 

1.) How will this affect the non-profit, regarding the employer contribution tax they pay here in CA? Will they still have to pay that to CA because I live and earn income here? Or would they fall under NC non-profit tax rules and not have to pay this tax to CA?

2.) Would this affect my own personal state taxes, being that I will work for a company based in NC?

Thank you in advance for any help. I would be happy to answer any questions if anyone needs some clarification 🙂

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
TomD8
Level 15

Since you will continue to be a resident of CA, ALL your income will remain taxable by CA, regardless of your employer's location.  Your income would not be taxable by NC so long as you never actually (physically) work in NC.  

A handful of states tax non-resident remote workers, but NC is not one of them.

This is an income tax forum, and questions about employer state tax obligations are beyond its scope.

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.

Thank you Tom, I appreciate your feedback!

TomD8
Level 15

Be sure to ask your employer if they will still withhold CA taxes for you after they relocate to NC.  If they will not or cannot do so, you'll have to begin making quarterly estimated tax payments to CA.   You can find the details on that here:

https://www.ftb.ca.gov/pay/estimated-tax-payments.html

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies