Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

If i worked in Kansas, but live in Missouri will i get KS state withheld tax back? (i currently will owe in MO, but would i get some back for KS?)

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DawnC
Employee Tax Expert

If i worked in Kansas, but live in Missouri will i get KS state withheld tax back? (i currently will owe in MO, but would i get some back for KS?)

Each state has different rules for calculating income tax.  Kansas will prorate tax and allow you to claim credits available to nonresidents.  The important thing to do is to complete the Kansas return first.  If you already started the Missouri return (sounds like you did), delete it and prepare the non-resident (KS) tax return first.  Then prepare your resident return (MO).  That way Turbo Tax can get you the proper credits on your Missouri return.  As it is now, your Missouri return doesn't have these credits.  See the links below for full instructions to ensure you get all credits you are entitled to.  

If you have income from multiple states, own out-of-state property or business interests that produce income, or your employer withheld taxes for the wrong state, you'll probably need to file a nonresident state return in addition to your resident state return.

Related Information:

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

5 Replies
DawnC
Employee Tax Expert

Each state has different rules for calculating income tax.  Kansas will prorate tax and allow you to claim credits available to nonresidents.  The important thing to do is to complete the Kansas return first.  If you already started the Missouri return (sounds like you did), delete it and prepare the non-resident (KS) tax return first.  Then prepare your resident return (MO).  That way Turbo Tax can get you the proper credits on your Missouri return.  As it is now, your Missouri return doesn't have these credits.  See the links below for full instructions to ensure you get all credits you are entitled to.  

If you have income from multiple states, own out-of-state property or business interests that produce income, or your employer withheld taxes for the wrong state, you'll probably need to file a nonresident state return in addition to your resident state return.

Related Information:

Thank you for the response!

I tried this and am still owing money to MO, which is fine.

Will i get two seperate returns for each state, MO and KS (whether it be owing or a return)?

Thanks

BillM223
Expert Alumni

"Will i get two seperate returns for each state, MO and KS"

Yes, you will get a separate state return for both states, whether you owe or get a refund.

I live in Kansas but worked in Missouri. why do I owe both states? ks 2400 and mo 2800or vice versa

MaryK4
Expert Alumni

Be sure to check your RESIDENCY status- in Personal Information and each state section of tax prep.  You always want to prepare your nonresident state first so that the credit for tax paid to another state can be applied to the resident state.

@Tinamgo

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies