turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I worked in ny and live in ny but the irs keep telling me i worked in another state

When i never worked in ct
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
DJS
Alumni
Alumni

I worked in ny and live in ny but the irs keep telling me i worked in another state

Have you checked your W2 to be sure that it shows that you worked in NY and not in Connecticut? If you find that your employer reported the wrong state, ask that your company issue you a corrected W2. Call the IRS for assistance if your employer does not issue you a new W-2 or does not send you one in a timely manner, the IRS will be able to assist you. Call the IRS directly at 800-829-1040. If this was an employer mistake then they would also have sent the state taxes to the wrong state, and that also has to be corrected. 

Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute legal or tax advice.
**If this post is helpful please click on "thumbs up"**
Hal_Al
Level 15

The Federal tax agency, The Internal Revenue Service (IRS) doesn't care what state(s) you worked in and doesn't try to even designate that info.

If you are a NY resident and worker in NY and the CT Department of Revenue Services (DRS) is coming after you, you need to figure out why.  The most common explanation is that you work for a CT based employer and they put "CT" in box 15 of your W-2. 

Ideally, you get a corrected W-2 from your employer.  Otherwise, explain to DRS the circumstances of the error.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies