turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I pay space rent in a California Mobile Home Park. Does this qualify for the 2015 California Renters Credit

I was finding conflicting answers in the help section.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
TerryA
Intuit Alumni

I pay space rent in a California Mobile Home Park. Does this qualify for the 2015 California Renters Credit

Yes it does, if you live in a mobile home on that space.

View solution in original post

11 Replies
TerryA
Intuit Alumni

Yes it does, if you live in a mobile home on that space.

hian128

How about Federal tax? If yes, where do I enter it?
TerryA
Intuit Alumni

This is a California-only credit. There's nothing like that in the federal return.

Could the rent be put in my itemized deductions on my 1040 form?

There is not a rent deduction or credit on your Federal return.  If your state has anything for renters you will be prompted to enter your rent info when you complete your state return.  As far as I know, the states that have anything for rent are Arizona, California, Connecticut, Hawaii, Indiana, Iowa, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, New Jersey, Rhode Island, Vermont, and Wisconsin. I don't know if there are any others.
**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
Nrags531

Where do I enter my space rent on my taxes for the year

1john3637ryan
Returning Member

Where on the CA tax form is this supposed to be noted?

MarilynG1
Expert Alumni

Click this link for info on entering the California Renter's Credit. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
1john3637ryan
Returning Member

So, the qualifications for Rent’s Credit in California is income of $42,932 or less. If I make more, saying I don’t work for McDonalds, all the money I paid in mobile home rent space is nonsequential?  

ErnieS0
Expert Alumni

Yes. You will not get the Nonrefundable renter’s credit if you made more than $43,533 (2020) filing single or married/RDP filing separately or $87,066 (2020) if you are married/RDP filing jointly, head of household, or qualified widow(er) so all the money you paid for mobile home rent would be inconsequential for the renter's credit.

The other requirements are:

• You paid rent in California for at least 1/2 the year
  • The property was not tax exempt
  • You did not live with someone who can claim you as a dependent
  • You or your spouse/RDP were not given a property tax exemption during the tax year

The credit is $60 for single or married/RDP filing separately and $120 for head of household, married/RDP filing jointly or widow(er).

Learn more at Nonrefundable renter’s credit.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
MLevySC

There is one catch to the general answer "yes" to this question. If you own your home and pay property taxes on it, and get a Homeowner's Exemption that reduces your property taxes, you can't take the Renter's Credit. For example, I get a Homeowner's Exemption on my mobilehome, of $7,000. With the local property tax around 1%, I save $70 on my property taxes, slightly beating the value of the Renter's Credit. Whoo whoo!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies