Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I moved from Virginia to Washington DC last year but my employer only lists state taxes from Virginia on my W-2. Do I need to fill out state tax forms for DC and VA?

I changed my address with my company but only have VA listed on my W-2, not DC. Do I still need to file in DC and VA or just VA? Or just DC?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
LenaH
Employee Tax Expert

I moved from Virginia to Washington DC last year but my employer only lists state taxes from Virginia on my W-2. Do I need to fill out state tax forms for DC and VA?

Yes. You will need to file a part-year return for both states since you moved during 2020. 

Virginia and Washington DC have a reciprocity agreement. A reciprocal agreement, also called reciprocity, is an agreement between two states that allows residents of one state to request exemption from tax withholding in the other (reciprocal) state. This can save you the trouble of having to file multiple state returns.

Typically, If your employer has withheld taxes for Virginia instead of DC, you'll have to file for a refund from Virginia. You'll still file your resident return that also includes that income and pay tax on it. However, since you were a part-year resident of both states, you will need to file both returns as part-year resident. 

Lastly, you will need to file a VA-4 Form and give it to your employer so only DC taxes will be taken out of your wages. You will need to re-certify your exemption every year.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
kyoung2

I received a W-2 from my employer for both Virginia and DC.  Because of the reciprocity agreement only Virginia had state taxes deducted.  Do I still need to file DC as a state without state income taxes?

Irene2805
Expert Alumni

If you live in VA and work in DC, you would just have VA taxes taken out of your paycheck.  You would only file a VA resident return.  There is no need to file a DC return because of the reciprocity agreement between VA and DC

@kyoung2

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies