turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Kebenny
Returning Member

I moved at the end of 2018 and my W-4 wasn't changed to my new state until halfway through 2019, I paid taxes to the wrong state despite never working there.

Like I said above. I moved from NC to CO in December of 2018.  I didn't notice until June of 2019 that my W-4 was not updated and I was still paying NC state income tax which is quite a bit higher than CO. My 2019 W-2 shows my income split between the two states but I never worked in NC for a minute. Is there a way to fix this? Do I file a state return for each state, or only file a CO return?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
MinhT1
Employee Tax Expert

I moved at the end of 2018 and my W-4 wasn't changed to my new state until halfway through 2019, I paid taxes to the wrong state despite never working there.

You'll need to file a non-resident state return for NC to claim a refund of tax withheld, in addition to your CO return.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

3 Replies
MinhT1
Employee Tax Expert

You'll need to file a non-resident state return for NC to claim a refund of tax withheld, in addition to your CO return.

Kebenny
Returning Member

Understood, I assume for the NC non-resident return, I will enter 0 wages earned in NC and then on my CO enter my total wages actually earned in CO?

MinhT1
Employee Tax Expert

Yes, you are correct.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies