turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I'm doing two different states w-2 how do I go about this

How can I delete my w-2 off of here
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
GloriaL
Expert Alumni

If you need to file taxes in more than one state, you will first need to determine if you were a non-resident or part-year resident in each state that you will need to prepare and file a tax return for.

If you are a part-year resident in one of the states that you need to file a tax return:

1. Sign in to Turbo Tax and select Personal Info.
  2. Your Personal info summary screen will pop up.
  3. Select Edit next to the top section with your name, Social Security Number, birthdate, occupation, and resident state.
  4. Question number 2 asks you the state(s) you lived in during 2020. Select your state of residence from a drop-down menu.
  5. You'll also be asked if you lived in another state in 2020. Answer Yes and a new section will appear asking for your previous state of residence. Select the other state you lived in.
  6. Fill out the date of when you moved to your current state.
  7. If the rest of your information is accurate, select the blue Continue button in the lower-right corner of the screen.

After you finish your federal return, you'll automatically move to the State section, where you'll see your part-year states listed. Please Note: We suggest that you prepare the return for your former state first, followed by the return for the state you currently live in.

To delete a W-2 from your tax return:

1. Sign in to Turbo Tax.
  2. In the search box (top-right hand corner) type W-2.
  3. Click on Jump to W-2.
  4. You will see your W-2 listed, click on the delete or garbage can next to the Edit button.

Hal_Al
Level 15

You shouldn't need to delete a W-2.  You prepare one federal return and two state returns. In the federal section, you enter both W-2s separately (unless they're duplicates for the federal info). You allocate the state income by the State abbreviation in 15 of the W-2.

How you prepare the state return depends on who the states are and whether you were resident, non resident or part year resident. 

This is the general rule: The income is work state (WS) source income since it was earned there. Resident States (RS) tax all their resident's income, regardless of where earned. You will file a non-resident tax return for the WS and report the WS income. You will file a full year resident return for the RS, reporting all your income. The RS will give you a credit, or partial credit for any tax paid to the WS.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies