turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I'm contracting for a company in NYC, but I work from home in NJ 100%. They're taking NY taxes, but shouldn't I be taxed based on where the actual work is performed?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies
TomD8
Level 15

I'm contracting for a company in NYC, but I work from home in NJ 100%. They're taking NY taxes, but shouldn't I be taxed based on where the actual work is performed?

Very few states tax non-resident telecommuters, but NY happens to be one state that does - depending on circumstances.

New York uses the "convenience of the employer" rule to determine if the income of non-resident employees of an NY-based business are subject to NY state income tax.  This means that if you are working from NJ because it's convenient to you rather than to your employer, the income you earn is subject to NY income tax.

The law is explained in detail here:  https://www.tax.ny.gov/pdf/memos/income/m06_5i.pdf

Your income is subject to NJ income tax regardless, because you are a NJ resident.  So you may have to file in both states.

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.
IsabellaG
Expert Alumni

Unfortunately, you'll be taxed in both states. New York is one of the states that tax remote employees when the employer has a location in NY State unless you are required to work out of state for the convenience of the employer. See this link to the State of New York's memorandum regarding telecommuters.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thank you. Where would I file for unemployment once the contract ends, NY or NJ. I am working remotely from NJ full time. 

Thank you. Where would I file for unemployment once the contract ends, NY or NJ. I am working remotely from NJ full time. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

filing for UC is not a tax question.  contact each states UC bureau to find out what you should do.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies