Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Tax Year Prior to 2020: I lived in Boston for college in January 2019 -August 2019. Moved to Nashville for work but on my W-2 the address was my actual home address in VA. How do i include this?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
MaryK4
Expert Alumni

Tax Year Prior to 2020: I lived in Boston for college in January 2019 -August 2019. Moved to Nashville for work but on my W-2 the address was my actual home address in VA. How do i include this?

If Tennessee is now your domicile, the address on the actual W2 will not affect how you file your taxes.  If you are a Tennessee resident and worked in Nashville, you would not have to file a state return for Virginia.

See Multiple States—Where To File

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Well I'm living with my parents again in Virginia because my job in Nashville ended. I left Nashville early March. I was in Boston and had a job in Boston from January to August. My W-2 lists Virginia as my home address for 1 job and my other W-2 lists Boston as my home address 

VictorW9
Expert Alumni

It's okay to use Virginia as tax home since you were only away for college and you continue to maintain a tax home in the state. So, Virginia will be your resident state with TN and MA as non resident states.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies