turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

TyJu22

I live in RI and work in MA. In my MA non resident form it's asking me to remove duplicate wages. Should I remove the MA wages or RI wages?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
AmyC
Expert Alumni

I live in RI and work in MA. In my MA non resident form it's asking me to remove duplicate wages. Should I remove the MA wages or RI wages?

You may need to delete and start over. On your W2, there should be MA wages. RI wages would not be on the W2.

Turbo Tax is picky. You must do the nonresident state first. The MA wages should pull directly into the MA return. MA will calculate your tax liability and you get refund or owe.

Next, file your resident state of RI. The program should pull in your income. It will calculate a credit for you based on your MA tax liability for the same income. 

The credit will be the lower of each state's liability. You may owe your resident state.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
kevinpwalker89
Returning Member

Hello.  Does the amount of MA taxes paid lower the taxable income for RI, or does it lower the amount of taxes owed to RI? 

TomD8
Level 15

It lowers the amount of taxes due to RI.

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies