Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts All About the Refund! >> Event happening NOW!!!!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I can't file my Massachusetts return because I'm told that tax-exempt pensions should not be entered directly on the Mass. form. How do I resolve this issue?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

11 Replies
ReginaM
Expert Alumni

I can't file my Massachusetts return because I'm told that tax-exempt pensions should not be entered directly on the Mass. form. How do I resolve this issue?

I am sorry, but I tried to duplicate the error that you have described above, and could not.  However, try to revisit your State of Massachusetts return by following these instructions:

1. While in your Tax Home,
  2. Select State,
  3. Select Continue,
  4. Select Continue next to the State of Massachusetts,
  5. Work through the on-screen prompts, looking for your tax exempt pension described above,
  6. Correct or delete this entry.

Hopefully this helps!

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

what is the reason for that?

MASS000.PNGare you saying you can't file your Mass return electronically? This was the reason why I couldn't file my Massachusetts electronically.

Yes.

was what I posted the same reason for you not being able to electronically file? What was your finally outcome? 

Yes.

I mailed the return in.

kacjr53

I'm stuck on this error, too, however my pension distribution is fully taxable, so I selected it as taxable and set the tax-exempt amount to $0.  Still won't let me get past this error.

BrittanyS
Expert Alumni

If your pension is fully taxable, you will want to ensure the pension income on line 4 matches the taxable amount reported on your U.S. Form 1040, line 4d.  The tax-exempt amount should be left blank unless you need to account for adjustments made to the federal amount, such as distributions from an annuity, stock bonus, pension, profit-sharing, or deferred payment plans or contracts described in §§ 403(b) and 404.  If these adjustments were made, you would need to enter the amount in the tax-exempt box. 

Glad to see that I am not the only one with this problem.

In my Federal tax form I find 5a Pensions and Annuities blank but taxable income 5B shown equal to the sum of the taxable pension I received in 2022.  On the Mass Form 1, page 2 item 4 I see an amount equal to the total taxable pensions I received in 2022.  The numbers on the Federal and the State forms for taxable pensions match exactly.  

So why does the check run (on TurboTax Premium) before accepting the Mass tax for electronic submission fail?

Just checking, Your answer refers to U.S. Form 1040, line 4d.  There is no such line on Form 1040 SR which Turbo Tax Premium selected for me but there is a line 5a for pensions and annuities.  Are they the same?

HopeS
Expert Alumni

Line 5a on Form 1040 or 1040-SR is for the total amount of pension and annuity payments you received during the tax year. You calculate that figure by adding up the amounts in box 1 of any Forms 1099-R you received from financial service providers

This would be equivalent to Form 1040 line 5a Pension and Annuities. Form 1040 Line 4a shows IRA distributions.

Please repost if this does not answer your question.

@KamiA 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies