turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Hi there-- The total amount I paid in State taxes in 2020 is not fully represented on my State return. How can I correct this? Thanks, James

My W-2s and 1099s (unemployment) have the correct info, but the amount I paid is not adding up correctly on my State return.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
JeffreyR77
Expert Alumni

Hi there-- The total amount I paid in State taxes in 2020 is not fully represented on my State return. How can I correct this? Thanks, James

Unemployment may not be taxable in your state. 

It is taxable on the Federal return but is not taxable in some  states.   

Does My State Tax My Unemployment Benefits

It is taxable here in NY.  I paid both federal and state taxes on my unemployment benefits.  But Turbotax doesn't seem to recognize the state taxes I paid when tallying the amount I paid for the year.  It is showing that I *owe* state taxes but I should not owe--I should be getting a return since I paid taxes on all of my income in 2020.

But you may not have had enough withheld to cover the actual taxes due.  NY has a sliding tax rate, based upon your total income

True--but my issue is that the math in Turbotax doesn't add up.

If I add up the amount I paid in state taxes on my W-2s + my unemployment 1099, that total is *more* than what Turbotax shows that I paid on my state return.  The totals should be the same... How can I fix this?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies