Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts All About the Refund! >> Event happening NOW!!!!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

mr-kubick

Hi, I had no taxable income in 2018. I started a return in TurboTax in the off chance that my non-taxable income was taxable. I didn't file it, it's under 2018 - filed?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

Hi, I had no taxable income in 2018. I started a return in TurboTax in the off chance that my non-taxable income was taxable. I didn't file it, it's under 2018 - filed?

If YOU did not click that big orange button that said "Transmit my return now" it was not filed.  What does it actually say in your account-- "Accepted,"  "Rejected," "Printed," or "Ready to mail?'  If it says anything other than "accepted" it was not filed.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
mr-kubick

It doesn't really say anything so I assume it was not filed since I didn't file it.  In the dropdown it just says this:

ou don't have any orders on file. Here are the possible reasons:
You deducted a TurboTax fee from your refund
Fees for products or services that you deducted from your tax refund may not appear here as an order.
You didn't purchase directly from TurboTax
We don't have order details for purchases made at other online retailers, stores or mobile app shops.
You haven't yet paid for the current year
Orders that are unpaid will not appear here.
Your TurboTax session has timed out
If you've timed out, sign back in to TurboTax to see your updated order details.

So, I'll assume that the 2018 tax return that I started but didn't need to file was not filed.  And I assume that if the IRS sees that there was no taxable income reported for me in 2018, that they will not require me to file for 2018!

I just don't like to assume anything, for the obvious reasons that the joke says - if you assume...

Again--if you did not file it, it was not filed.  TurboTax does not file it for you, nor does TT mail it for you.  If you had no taxable income then you were not required to file a tax return.  Of course, you have not mentioned what your income source was, so we are taking your word for it that it was not taxable.

DO I NEED TO FILE A TAX RETURN?

https://www.irs.gov/help/ita/do-i-need-to-file-a-tax-return

Who has to file?

http://www.irs.gov/uac/Do-I-Need-to-File-a-Tax-Return%3F

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies