turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Hello, I was a resident of NYC in 2020 but worked in CA for less than 2 months earning less than $1000. Turbo tax prompts me to fill out a return for CA. Is that correct?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
MayaD
Expert Alumni

Hello, I was a resident of NYC in 2020 but worked in CA for less than 2 months earning less than $1000. Turbo tax prompts me to fill out a return for CA. Is that correct?

Yes, as a nonresident, you pay tax on your taxable income from California sources.

Sourced income includes, but is not limited to:

• Services performed in California
  • Rent from real property located in California
  • The sale or transfer of real California property
  • Income from a California business, trade or profession

You will be able to claim a credit on your NY resident return for taxes paid to another state.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
TomD8
Level 15

CA has income thresholds below which you do not have to file.  See "Filing Requirements" in this web reference:

https://www.ftb.ca.gov/file/personal/residency-status/part-year-and-nonresident.html

Note that the thresholds are based on your total gross income, not just on your income from CA.

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.

Right makes sense, but do I need to file a CA state return?

JotikaT2
Employee Tax Expert

Yes, assuming your total gross income exceeds the threshold amounts listed above, you will still need to file a nonresident income tax return for the $1,000 earned from California sources.

See the example as provided by California below for more details on how your California sourced income will be taxed.

CA nonresident taxation on compensation

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies