Georgia Form 500, Schedule 1 Adjustments to Income

TurboTax added an entry on my Georgia Schedule 1 form (Adjustments to Income), line 5 (Other) that reads "Federal Schedule A Adjustment", and carried it over to my GA form 500 as an increase to my income. This makes no since to me since Federal Schedule A is my itemized deductions form and has nothing to do with income. I reviewed my deductions and I don't see anything that I claimed on my federal that GA disallows. I've gone over the interview questions numerous times and can't figure out why or where this adjustment is coming from. Could it be a software glitch? HELP, I'm pulling my hair out and want to get my taxes submitted soon.

This is happening to me as well. I have an addition on Georgia Schedule 1 that says "Federal Schedule A Adjustment." I have no idea why or what it represents. Can someone please reply to this post?

See the information below for an explanation of the amounts that may be reported on line 5 of the Georgia Schedule 1:

Other Additions (Line 5)

Enter other additions to federal adjusted gross income here, such as:

* Loss carryovers from years not subject to Georgia income tax

* Higher federal depreciation taken than allowed under Georgia tax law for tax years 1981 through 1986

* Adjustments due to bonus depreciation and Section 179 depreciation differences between Georgia and federal tax law. This amount is calculated and transfers from the Federal/State Adjustment Summary

Note: A calculated adjustment appears on this Statement only if it is positive. Negative adjustments appear in "Subtractions from Income" on Schedule 1. Other federal items that are computed based on AGI may have to be recomputed. Some examples are student loan interest deduction, self-employed health insurance deduction, etc. Enter positive adjustments on this schedule.

* Payments for more than $600 in a taxable year made to employees which are not authorized employees.

* Portion of charitable contributions for which a qualified education expense credit was claimed.(If form IT-QEE-TP2 applied, no further adjustment is necessary program will calculate the QEE adjustment.)

* Taxable portion of withdrawals on the Georgia Higer Education Savings Plan.

* The charitable donation relating to the Land Conservation credit claimed.

Note: If applicable, the program recalculates the phase out of federal Schedule A using Georgia modified Adjusted Gross Income.

Enter any other additions that may be applicable. The total carries to Form 500, Individual Income Tax Return, Schedule 1, Adjustments to Income, line 5.

Note for teachers who deduct (up to) $250 for Educator expenses on federal Form 1040. This deduction is not allowed on your Georgia return. If you have taken the deduction on the federal return, the deduction will be automatically added back to Adjusted Gross Income for Georgia income tax purposes and no further adjustment is necessary.

* Deductions taken on the Federal return for charitable contributions made to rural hospital organizations only if a Georgia income tax credit deduction is also being taken on Schedule 2 for credit code 136 :Qualified Rural Hospital Organization Expense Tax Credit.

@Imdone

@LifeinPTC

I have the same situation and cannot see where any of the possible reasons listed pertain to my return.

My guess is that you have your Georgia state income tax reported on your federal Schedule A, so this amount is added back to income in Georgia because it is not deductible in Georgia. This assumes that you have itemized on your federal return.

Note that Schedule A reports the amount of Georgia tax you have already paid (generally your withholding in 2019), not the tax you are assessed when you do your return.

Anyway, take a quick look at Schedule A on the federal return and see if your state tax is reported - and then compare it to that Adjustment to Income on Schedule 1 on your Georgia return.

Actually, it appears to me that TurboTax Federal is using last year's percentage of 7.5% instead of the new 10% to calculate the allowable deduction for medical expenses. In the TurboTax Georgia State, it is using the new 10% and is deducting the additional 2.5% from my income as a FEDERAL TAX INCOME ADJUSTMENT. 

The $2028 amount added is exactly 2.5% of my income.

I have a call into support (my third) to discuss this with them. In the instructions on Schedule A 2019, it shows  "Multiply line 2 by 7.5% (0.075)".

Did you ever get a solution?

If not, maybe you have the same situation as I do. This is my response to another person. Let me know if you see the same thing in your return.

********************************************

It appears to me that TurboTax Federal is using last year's percentage of 7.5% instead of the new 10% to calculate the allowable deduction for medical expenses. In the TurboTax Georgia State, it is using the new 10% and is deducting the additional 2.5% from my income as a FEDERAL TAX INCOME ADJUSTMENT. 

@bganderson wrote:

The federal medical expense limitation is 7.5% of the federal AGI, not 10%, in 2019.

As stated on the IRS 2019 Schedule A Line 3 - https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f1040sa.pdf