turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Filling out Form 104EP for Colorado not done in TurboTax Deluxe

I have completed my 2019 federal tax returns, ready to file.  However, as the data is transferred to my Colorado state filing, TurboTax does not fill out Form 104EP, the forms for estimating income for 2020 and the forms for paying the estimated state taxes for 2020.  At some site, don't remember just where, I saw a statement that TurboTax would ask if you wished to fill out the  estimate of taxes due.  This has not happened, and I find no way to direct TurboTax to fill these out.  I did get an agent on the phone and this person, after 45 minutes of looking and checking said this was not supported by TurboTax.  Surely that is not correct.  What do I need to do to get the estimate and quarterly payment forms filled out?   

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

If you owe estimated taxes during the year, as you complete your state taxes in Turbo you will eventually reach a screen asking if you wish to make estimated tax payments.  Additionally, it will ask you questions about your 2018 tax return. I did go through a sample return using my test turbo tax account and was eventually taken to this section where i made entries. At the end of recording my entries, the 104EP forms appeared in my list of forms in the return.

You will not be asked this if your tax due for the year is less than $1000.  If that is the case, you will not be expected to make estimated tax payments.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

4 Replies
DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

If you owe estimated taxes during the year, as you complete your state taxes in Turbo you will eventually reach a screen asking if you wish to make estimated tax payments.  Additionally, it will ask you questions about your 2018 tax return. I did go through a sample return using my test turbo tax account and was eventually taken to this section where i made entries. At the end of recording my entries, the 104EP forms appeared in my list of forms in the return.

You will not be asked this if your tax due for the year is less than $1000.  If that is the case, you will not be expected to make estimated tax payments.

Thanks for your reply.  The TurboTax helpline did not know this protocol for getting the estimated tax forms.  I had some heavy medical expenses this year and will receive a refund from the IRS as well as CO, so my tax situation for 2020 will not be like 2019.  But your response clears up the reason why in my case the forms were not completed.  The helpline should have this information in their manual some place.  But thanks for taking the time to follow up and post the answer.

this does not address the absence prompt to enter the  amount of estmated taxes paid in2018 for 2019 on line 19.  ???

DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

You will report the estimated taxes paid to Colorado in the federal section of your tax return.

1. Go to federal>deductions and credits>estimates and other taxes paid
  2. estimates>state estimated taxes for 2019
  3. Now, the program will ask what date you made your schedule estimated tax payments but at the bottom of that first screen, there will be an opportunity to list your 2018 payment made by selecting the button at the bottom of the screen that says enter more payments. here is where you can enter that payment.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies