`

Efile State Taxes for Domestic Partnership

Hello. My boyfriend and I are in a domestic partnership, which means we need to file out federal taxes separately and then do a joint federal to influence our state which we file. The joint federal does not get filed. I filed our separate federal taxes and am now trying to submit our joint state via efile, however the system will not let me file. I am receiving an error saying that I cannot efile my state taxes because I must file my state with or after my federal has been filed. However, I have already filed my federal - the separate returns - and I cannot submit the joint federal. Is there a way to efile the state via Turbo Tax? Is there a way I can show the system that I have efiled my federal? 

One option is to ask TurboTax to file by mail for that joint federal so that it just creates a PDF for you to print and never mail.  Then you can proceed to state efiling.  But if TurboTax asking you to pay money to file federal that way, this isn't going to be the answer.