turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

jemmaniso

Efile State Taxes for Domestic Partnership

Hello. My boyfriend and I are in a domestic partnership, which means we need to file out federal taxes separately and then do a joint federal to influence our state which we file. The joint federal does not get filed. I filed our separate federal taxes and am now trying to submit our joint state via efile, however the system will not let me file. I am receiving an error saying that I cannot efile my state taxes because I must file my state with or after my federal has been filed. However, I have already filed my federal - the separate returns - and I cannot submit the joint federal. Is there a way to efile the state via Turbo Tax? Is there a way I can show the system that I have efiled my federal? 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies

One option is to ask TurboTax to file by mail for that joint federal so that it just creates a PDF for you to print and never mail.  Then you can proceed to state efiling.  But if TurboTax asking you to pay money to file federal that way, this isn't going to be the answer.

nwa123
Returning Member

Does this work for the desktop version? I tried figuring out this option and I can't seem to do one separately from the other. 

DawnC
Employee Tax Expert

Yes, it works in the desktop.  You can file the federal - but don't e-file it, choose to file it by mail.  But then don't mail it.   

How do I prepare my return if I'm in a registered domestic partnership (RDP) or civil union (CU)?    @nwa123

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
nwa123
Returning Member

Thank you Dawn. I tried numerous times, but after printing my federal to "mail" there is no option to try to e-file state. It simply goes back to asking if I want to print my return for mailing in again. What am I missing?

nwa123
Returning Member

Can you elaborate on how to do this? I've followed the steps in turbo tax in the desktop version and there is no option to efile state after I select filing by mail for federal. @hbl3973 @DawnC Thank you!!

DawnC
Employee Tax Expert

You won't be able to file the state return electronically unless you file the federal electronically.   Unfortunately, the instructions only allow one to prepare and paper file a joint state return when the federal return is filed with a Single or Head of Household status.    Sorry for the confusion.  @nwa123

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Sigh ... but thank you Dawn for clarifying this issue.  Personally, I have always paper filed my own returns via certified mail to ensure a timely postmark and tracking.  (It is quite unfortunate that tracking has been quite unreliable in the last few years since DeJoy undercut delivery standards.)

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies